Do the develop cracks? I think I'm going to tape a paper towel around mine and
drive around a little and see if I can tell if its leaking from the effect on
the paper towel...

-Curt

Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 17:34:32 -0600
From: Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] What is this?

That is a vortex oil separator, and yes, it removes oil mist from the
blowby and returns it to the pan.

Two failures:  The seal in the pipe and the foot valve -- if the
valve sticks or the blowby pipe is clogged up, oil will spill out and
make a mess.

I believe there is also a seal inside, but since I don't have one,
I'm not sure.

At any rate, the oil should all go down the pipe into the engine, not
outside.

Peter