So OK Don started it here's my review of my '83 240D.

You may remember I bought my '83 240D "Hammie" back from my friend Devin in May
'08. My first fuel record is Nov '08 which is when I got it back on the road.
Since then we've traveled 11,764 miles (at last fillup) using somewhat more
than 339 gallons of diesel fuel.
I don't have complete records so that number is actually likely to me more like
396 gallons based on my average fuel economy.

On that note average fuel economy was 29.77, the reasonable high removing some
fliers is 31.73 and low was 27.88 both around (actually slightly higher) what I
was getting back in '05 when I first owned this car.

I tend to fill up every 400 miles which 3.6 round trip commutes.

I need to check my records a little more but my guestimate is I've got about
$1800 into this car (including purchase price) right now so thats right around
$0.15/mile when I sold it last time I was down around $0.08/mile so I need to
keep piling on the miles to get back into that area, being able to do more work
myself now helps to keep costs down...

-Curt