She has some splined bits, but locks in with hex type holders. One has to remove the locking bit, then you can use the special tool to spin them out. Being careful to not allow the spring to sproing and take the inner magic doinky with it. Really the delicate operation that SWMBA is better able to do, but at $450/hr billing rate, I think the shop is much less expensive.

clay

On Jan 5, 2010, at 6:31 PM, Dieselhead wrote:

If my memory is correct, the Gump is an OM615, and if so, has regular hex for the Delivery valve body. No special socket needed. While the other precautions are good to heed, the older pumps are not as sensitive to over-torqueing as the OM60x IP and the later 617 IP.

It's not that bad, just requires very specific steps, cleanliness,
patience, and the right tools including the special socket and a torque wrench, and some parts. However, easy to screw up and cause expensive
damage if done wrong, so handing off to a pro is the right choice in
some circumstances.

If you detect any new noises from the injection pump, one or more of the DV's has not set correctly during the torque procedure and needs to be re-torqued (torque to 30Nm, release, torque to 30Nm, release, torque to
35Nm and lock down).  Easy to do the procedure right and still have a
problem, but that noise is due to a warped IP body which will cause
expensive damage if not fixed. For that reason and to avoid confusion about which DV might be the cause of such a hypothetical noise, I think it's best to do one DV at a time and start-run the engine briefly after
each DV has been re-sealed and locked down.

I like the new word: defornicate.  Don't mis-underestimate its uses!

-Max
-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Redghost
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 12:49 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] Fuel delivery valve job

The indy scared me about this job. He said it is too delicate for him to do, but I suspect it is more that Gump is a heap and he is not interested in keeping her on the road. He agreed to do the job anyway.

I have done enough of these sorts of "simple" jobs that end up screwing the car up. Figured it would just save us all headache to have a pro do
it, since the past few times under the hood, I ended up having a shop
defornicate the mess I made.

clay