We went over to the indy shop just now and took a look at it. Shonuff the left lower control arm rear bracket was damnear cracked off the subframe. Looked like some of the crack had been there awhile but the rest is recent -- nice and shiny where it is separated. We called 800formerc and they said the recall was in 84 or 85, take it to the Benz dealer and let them deal with it. The indy suggested replacing whatever other suspension rubber bits, maybe ball joints too, while they have the whole thing apart, so he will see what the dealer will shaft him for on that job, which is getting near due anyway, might as well do it now.

He was lucky to have caught it today as it looked like it was near snapping anytime now, which would have definitely ruined his day, and perhaps the car too.

Thanks to all who identified this problem -- you were right on! He was amazed that I got quick definitive responses from the list, and will buy you a beer, which I will gladly collect for you.

--R

Peter Frederick wrote:

If the front subframe is cracked, hie thee hence to an MB dealer and check to see if the recall for a cracked subframe has been done on the car. If not, they will replace it for free as a warrenty job -- if not, I happen to have a spare....

If it is a front frame horn, it's time to find a good body shop and get it welded up -- these cars are fairly valuable, $2000 isn't too much for a major fix like that.

Peter