There is a Microsoft research product for making panorama photos from a sequence of individual stills. I used it to stitch together a bunch of pics I took in Ecuador and they came out very nicely. Very simple to use, basically you just select your photos in the pkg and it does its magic and out comes a panorama. I had not used it before, but remembered I had read about it, so I made a point to take a bunch of sequences by "rotating" my camera around and taking 4-6 images, then when I got home I downloaded it and played with it a bit. http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/groups/ivm/ICE/ Uses digital images, would probably be better to use a tripod to take them but hand-held worked fine. The initial output shows the irregularity but you can crop it automatically and it comes out really well.

That is Lago Cuicocha, a caldera lake at 11000ft.  Amazingly beautiful.

The 360 photos are pretty neat, there are some special lenses for doing that, and some software for displaying them. I just saw some new 3D VR glasses that were shown at CES, will display HD images and have built-in motion sensors. Imagine a 360deg movie in 3DHD!

I have also made some stereo photos and built a stereopticon to look at them (and a slide thingie to put on a tripod to get the photos shot with the right separation), using a free program StereoPhoto Maker a Japanese guy has been developing. They are very cool too, and quite easy to do just by printing the images using the program. You can't do moving things with just one camera but for stills the images are really something. (Little digital cams are so cheap these days, I might try to make one with 2 cams and a simultaneous trigger -- hmmmm I actually have 2 old low-end ones sitting right here). You can buy the lenses cheaply for the viewer, just a few dollars if I recall, and a bit of basic woodworking will get you a serviceable viewer and the slider.

Anyway, some fun cheap diversions to make some enjoyable pics.

--R

andrew strasfogel wrote:
That is, like, WOW!