Gabriel S. wrote:
http://dieselgiant.com/thermostatreplacementandmodif.htm

THIS IS REALLY bad for your engine (will about double engine wear) and defeats the primary purpose of the thermostat (which is to PREVENT cooling until the engine reaches the optimal temperature range)! Once the engine reaches the upper end of that range, if the thermostat is operating correctly, it causes absolutely NO restriction of cooling. Mercedes cooling systems are NOT marginal or underrated - UNLESS they are abused or maintenance is neglected. If you start with a new system and change the fluid every few years as directed, using the appropriate formula antifreeze, and perform the required maintenance jobs in a timely manner, the diesel cooling systems will virtually NEVER overheat.

Some of the gasoline engines seem to get a little hotter than seems right to me, but my experience with them is very limited.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)