Thanks Jim and Dan.

What I want to do is determine PF at hardwired 240 1 phase devices, such as central air cond. compressor/condensor units. The Kill-A-Watt is great for 110v devices. Is there any low-cost way to do that?

I can get amps with a clamp-on, volts with a voltmeter. Is there any way to determine watts without rewiring a wattmeter inline? If I have to rewire, then I could use two kill-a-watts with leads and clamps.

The Fluke would be nice, but the price is not justified for my needs.

Thanks again.

Understand that power factor is a value that is constantly changing based on the types of loads that are present. Power factor can lead or lag, and in the case of loads with motors or capacitance the value is not a constant.

Yes, but there is an average value for a period of time.

In a balanced single phase circuit you could measure power factor with a wattmeter, ammeter and voltmeter, if you have them. You could do this as well in a three phase system as long as the loads are balanced across the three phases.

My suggestion: Buy a kill-a-watt.

We have very sophisticated devices we use for testing and commissioning of generators (as well as for troubleshooting) that measure power factor among other values, but you're talking about several thousand dollars for something like this:

http://www.tequipment.net/pdf/Fluke/435_datasheet.pdf

Dan