Rcvd Hirschmann replacement antenna assembly (made in Slovenia) for my '87 124
today ($201).  One in the car drains bat when sitting with key OFF.
'Disappointed with replacement; 'requires cutting plug off original wires and
soldering 4 individual terminals onto the wires, leaving up/down switch on
dashboard inop, which is not terribly upsetting, 'cause I never use it, anyway.
 Bracket for mounting bottom of assembly is different also; 'coupla plastic
clips that may require drilling coupla mounting holes - not sure 'cause I
didn't open their plastic bag yet.

'Gave my soldering stuff to BIL 3 or 4 years years ago when my tremor was so
bad.  'Beginning to wonder if I really "need" the antenna to go up and down as
bad as I thought I did.  'Just went out to car, plugged power wires into the
antenna unit in the car, ran the antenna up and unplugged power, leaving the
antenna up.  Radio works fine with no power to the antenna retraction
mechanism, of course.  Purpose of the antenna, of course, is to provide proper
radio reception when I want it, and it does.  I may be able to stand the
"trauma" and "embarrassment" of having the antenna on an MB "standing tall"
when car is OFF and unoccupied.  'Think I'll try it a few days and see if I can
stand it.

Wilton