There's nothing like the good feeling you get after a successful DIY repair, and it's increased proportionally by the amount of money saved. The dog chewed the cord off my sister's Oreck vacuum cleaner just outside where it exits the machine. Price for a new cord and labor was going to be $75, so there it sat for nearly 2 years. It was too close to the case to put a splice right there, and it would have looked ugly. I flipped it over, removed the bottom screws, removed the connector to the motor and the wirenut to the switch and extracted what was left of the cord. . I trimmed back the cord to expose the two wires, stripped them, installed the cord into the gromet that holds it into the case, cut the connector and installed it onto the cord once again, slipped everything into place, reconnected the motor connector and the wirenut to the switch and it was done!! The cord is about 1.5' shorter, but that's it. It works just as well as it did, and I only charged my sister $50 :D

Kevin in Hillsboro, Oregon