My 2 190Ds have been at my Indy's for a couple days now. Today he gave me a
call, turns out the timing chain doesn't appear to be broken on the parts car.
He says it looks like the belt tensioner broke the timing chain case. Of course
that covered the front of the engine with nasty diesel oil...
He's going to pull it apart a little and diagnose a little more but its looking
like for a couple hundred bucks I'll have a running '84 190D 2.2l auto...

I hate auto trans but hesitate to have him put the manual trans in it now. I'm
thinking to run the auto car for a couple months while I find a nice manual to
replace it...

-Curt