From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]on Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 7:57 AM
To: 'Mercedes@okiebenz.com'
Subject: [MBZ] Snook's Caddy was Re: One down and one to go

Kaleb wrote: "that Northstar is a total piece of crap isnt it?"

That is what I used to think.  I always heard "don't buy the first generation
Northstar."  They were great
technology and lots of power. AND in general, that is probably a safe bet to
avoid them because they have head
gasket problems and the "midcase" gasket leaks oil.  HOWEVER, mine has already
been fixed.

My Indy bought this car for his son to drive to college.  I remember when he
got it in - it was a bought a year
ago. It was a one owner car and the previous was very picky about the car.
But, he got hurt pretty bad at one of
the local aviation places and parked for the 3 years while he was rehabbing.

When my Indy got the car, it was totally filthy-covered in muck and mud.  The
tires were all flat, and it would
barely run.  He yanked out the engine (which is the only way to fix the midcase
gasket) and fixed the head gasket
including all new head bolts, fixed the midcase gasket, new plugs, coils, water
pump, and of course all the fluids.
He really fixed it up for his son to drive.  But, his son is a car guy too, and
found a Audi TT convertible.  So,
the Cadillac came back for sale.

The only problem with it is that a CD is stuck in cd player.  It doesn't play.
So, if you hit eject, it tries to
eject and says "err." After that, the radio comes on and everything works fine
except the CD.

Donald H. Snook