From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Rich Thomas
Sent: Thursday, February 11, 2010 5:57 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Any other fans of the 600 SWB ?

Yes they are very much around,  there are some folks who live in a shack
down a little dirt road across the road from me who speak only Gullah,
no English.  Most of the Gullah folk speak passable English, especially
the younger kids, and can flip back and forth (the kids at the grocery
stores are interesting to observe, as you did).  The older ones are
sometimes quite hard to understand if you can at all.

Many of the folks on Kiawah would rather not to hear, see, or have any
contact with these folks who have lived here by choice or circumstance
for hundreds of years.  It is sad, they are very nice people with lots
of history and culture.

This afternoon an older white man introduced himself as gullah, and
spoke with a very thick accent.  Some white folks who grew up in the
community, especially the older ones, also can flip back and forth, and
have very distinct accents.  Another neighbor across the road, who has a
truck farm  http://www.rosebankfarms.com/  , is in his 70s and was born
and grew up right here, can flip back and forth, goes to the black
church next door to me and has forever I guess.  He is quite a
character.

--R

Gary Hurst wrote:
> years ago, i stopped at the piggly wiggly on kiawah island and engaged

> the backroom workers in dialogue.  some barely spoke english, so i
> assured them in my best fake bob marley accent that I was conversant
> in the "gullah" so they could speak their native tongue to me.  i
> hadn't a clue what those guys were saying, but i sure loved the way
they talked.

> those guys still around or are they just so many more dispersed
natives?

> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Rich Thomas <
> richthomas79td...@constructivity.net> wrote:
>

>> I am fortunate to live a short bike ride over to Kiawah Island, which

>> is like a zoo for older rich white people.  Last fall sometime they
>> had a car display at one of the parks on a gorgeous Saturday morning,

>> so I pedaled over to look at the cars.  There were some nice rides
>> there, and some people sitting around, walking around, whatever.  I
>> attempted to engage some of them in idle conversation about the cars,

>> etc. and no one seemed to be the least bit happy to be there or
>> interested in sharing an interest in nice cars.  That really bothered

>> me.  I think it was more of a "who has a bigger ...." kind of thing
>> rather than enjoying nice cars on a beautiful day.  I would wager I
>> am happier driving my 26 and 31yo stinky Benzes and 34yo ratty Cad
than any of them are in their $n00,000 spotless cars.