Yeah, aircraft hydraulic fluid, MIL-5606, is read to clearly and easily distinguish it from other fluids, engine oil, water, urine, etc. Easier to find and identify leaks, too. If you see a red fluid dripping from an aircraft, you know you have a hydraulic leak, or somebody's been hurt. (But hyd fluid is usually a little thinner and not quite as dark as blood.) ;<))))

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "MG" <trainpain2...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 300TD suspension oil

I think they make the aircraft oil red because it goes in the brakes so that when it is checked it can be seen to be the right stuff. Don't you need almost 4 quarts of oil to completely replace all the oil in the system?

The transmission is bad so I haven't had a chance to drive it yet to see if the suspension works right though I know it doesn't leak when standing still with the engine running. I was thinking of using aircraft oil to flush the system and till I see if the accumulators are good or not and then flush it again with the real stuff. Unfortunately around here the aircraft oil cost as much or more then the real MB oil so I guess I might as well use the real oil.

Manfred