<,I want to change the automatic transmission fluid in a '95 E300D (W124 with
6 cyl diesel).
I remember a thread a few months (years?) ago about some updated ATF to use
in this model.
The newer stuff is supposed to avoid the characteristic delay, then clunk
when starting from a stop that these trannies develop. I've been using Mobil
1 ATF, but that doesn't help.
It is some official (and of course expensive) MB part, and IIRC it may the
the fluid used in later modles.
Anyone remember the part number or description? Can anyone vouch that this
stuff really helps?>>

When my '95 C280 was in it's first year, it developed a double engagement
problem into first gear after having been in reverse. As part (or all of) the
repair. The fluid came in a 5 liter container which was given to me with 1.5
liters remaining.

The part number for this fluid is: A 001 989 23 03 11.

The following is the English portion of the container label.

This ATF may only be poured into automatic transmissions 722.3/4/5 in the
event of problem "double engagement jerk" and after first engaging "drive" mode
D. This fluid may not be used for initial filling. Note: only pour in these
five liters; top up with A 000 989 92 03.

Problem solved and did not return.

Roger Ellingson/Seattle