On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:
>> http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/1604474366.html
>> 560SEL, probably a decent deal.  It does have all new ignition,
>> including a new cap and "rota."  Nice seat covers, NOT.
>
> Also has 'all four shocks' replaced.  Oh yeah?
> That could mean the SLS is defunct.

When I was buying my 500SEL Euro with Hydramat (i.e. SLS at all four
corners, more or less, but without any springs, kind of like a
Citroen), my first phone conversation with the seller went like this:

Seller: It needs new shocks.
Me: You mean the hydraulic rams---the things that look like shocks?
S: I don't know.  It rides like it needs new shocks.
M: Rides how?
S: Like really hard.
M: So you haven't been driving it?
S: Oh no, I drive it to work.  The roads are pretty smooth between
here and there.
M: Were you planning to fix it?
S: Nah.

I couldn't believe he'd been driving the thing with no pressure at all
in the accumulators.  When I went to look at it, it came up to normal
ride height in a few minutes after sitting overnight in "kneeling
camel" position, so I figured the rams and pump were OK.  But on a
test drive it was like there was no suspension at all.  Every bump
went right up your spine.  Never could figure out why it didn't bother
the PO to leave it like that.

I know that having been driven for a while with no accumulators it
will probably need other components replaced that were stressed
thereby.  But I got the car for $700 IIRC, so I rationalized it by
putting it into the "worthless crap that's fun to play with" category.

Alex