Peter Arnold wrote:
Cool weather is here.

I note that my car fires very quick.  It seems to be blowing much more
smoke (White) than it did last year.  Runs fine.  G/P are about 20Kmi
old.

Allow the plugs to CONTINUE heating for 10-20 seconds after the dash light extinguishes. That will usually reduce/eliminate the white smoke when starting.

White smoke occurs when the temperature within the prechamber is insufficient to completely ignite the fuel soon enough. This can be because the plugs aren't hot enough (it takes 30 seconds for the plugs to reach their full heat of 1180 deg. C.) because the fuel is not sufficiently atomized (the spray pattern will deteriorate as injectors age) or because compression declines (that will happen to Mercedes diesels that are almost exclusively city driven as the rings carbon up). The quality of fuel is also an issue - especially when fuel is in short supply - fuel with higher Cetane ratings will smoke less (50 Cetane fuel will smoke less than 40 Cetane fuel). Those are the most common causes, but not an exhaustive list of possible causes.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)