Talking to my indy on a non-car related issue today. Eventually, the
conversation turned to cars and he asked how the old 300D was running. We
talked about that for a minute or two, then he asked how wifey's '05 E320
was running. I told him about the periodic stumbling at idle and the
occasional wicked low rpm in turns...sometimes to the point of the car
nearly stalling (feel the power steering cut out while turning). The first
queston he asked was can I smell gas, as if I had a gas leak, after I fill
it. I said hell yes. He then discribed the issue with the E320's fuel
pumps...they start seeping fuel out of some electrical connections or
something if the tank is above 3/4 full. The pumps cause the stumbling at
idle and the eventually fail. To replace, take out back seat, remove cover
and get busy. Replacing with a like fuel pump, misc parts and labor he said
would be $1K. Nice.

Anyone else heard of this? I don't doubt him for a second but I was just
wondering if anyone else has heard of this?

Bob R