We won't be traveling to Decorah, we'll leave that to my Daughter and her mates.

Hendrik
who also prefers the small town relaxed atmosphere

Dieselhead wrote:
Decorah is an unusual town, and you will like it, but not sure how much a high school age girl will like it. She will like it if she has fun with the teammates and locals, I guess. Decorah has a high percentage of Norwegians, and the downtown reflects that. It is also home to Luther College, founded as you might suspect, by the Lutheran church.

In theory, 2 hours should be enough for customs, but who knows. Have a a plan B.

NY to SF by train is unimaginable to me. I would go part way and get off for a day, then go on. The train doesn't really go to SF. It ends at Oakland. Chicago to Oakland is a very interesting train ride. Breaks at chicago and Salt Lake city would help, so you can get some food and a real shower. Travelling across the country by train or car will give you an appreciation of the diversity of the country.

A car gives you the opportunity to meet people in the small towns along the way. That is the real USA. I like to travel and AVOID the big cities, because it is easier and you get to meet real people in any country you go to. I have spent maybe a total of 12 weeks in europe, and I can probably count the cities I have been in on my fingers. The only ones I really liked were London and Munich. But the small towns and countryside are great. I'd opt for Decorah over NYC hands down any day. So you can see my bias!