On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM,  <relng...@aol.com> wrote:
>> ....I believe excessive vibration was the cause of the failure of #6 line
>> on my
>> '87---it cracked right above the connection to the IP.....
>>
> Believe me, work hardening of a vibrating solid metal tube (vs flex) can
> lead to serious consequences when it breaks off.

I had to look up "work hardening," but that sure makes sense.  I did
notice that the cracked line when removed had little or no give, where
the new line though visually identical was very slightly flexible at
the bends.  So apparently it vibrated itself into a hard, brittle
state and then didn't need much more vibration to snap at a weak
point.

Alex