I used "Lexel" clear sealant by Sashco Co[Some lumber stores  carry
it]....Mine were cracked pretty bad & i did it 5 yrs ago & it's  still holding
great .[ going to install new axles this spring]

   I cleaned  the boots with lacquer thinner ,then  applied Lexel into the
cracks dipping my finger into the lac thin to  work it in. Using the caulk
gun means you have to roll the car so that you get  all around the boots.Coat
a thin layer all the way around. Using the lacquer  thinner does not hurt
the boots so use it so the stuff does not stick to your  fingers and work it
around ........ Lexel is used as airplane  windshield adhesive so it is good
stuff.

Bob
 1983 240D