I think the early 924 had an audi based engine in it, but the 944 were
probably more 928 than audi.  There was a 924 turbo too, but not sure what
it was based on. I think it was the original audi engine, no intercooler or
anything.  It was pretty early stuff.  I remember people saying Porsche was
so confident in their turbo technology with that car, they didn't even
bother to put a boost gauge in it.  I've taken a couple of 944 engines
apart, and a lot of the internal bits even share 928 parts code numbers.
It's more or less half a 928 engine.  Porsche didn't skimp on the oily bits
with the 944 from what I can see.

Ed
300E