When I was a kid, I loved going to McCormick place (Chicago), because from there I could see Meggs Field on the lake. Meggs field was Beech 18 city. It was fun to watch them take off and land. They sure were a workhorse.

When I lived in Houston occasionally I would hear that same kind of growl, and say "Beech D-18" and look up around, and in a few seconds a Beech D-18 would appear overhead. Things like that sorta work their way into your brain at some reptilian level.

--R