This must have been in the past few years.

The Coast Guard guys (we flew C-130s, Falcon business jets or helicopters)
still had to go through this God-awful torture chamber sort of measuring
device. You sit there, they strap all sorts of measuring devices to your
extremities, and a tape spits out the other end.

The Pettty Officer who read my numbers said, "Sir, I suggest you don't go
jets -- at your height you will amputate your legs if you have to eject."

I told him I was a Coast Guard officer and he relaxed a bit. At that time,
and up to 2010, the Coast Guard has nothing with ejection seats. (We all
wore the same color flight suits, and he'd have to looked closely at my name
tag to see USCG.)

When I was in flight training (1981) there was no such thing as reaction
time. It was all based on flying ability. If you could fly up to standards,
could meet the physical requirements, and completed all of the hops, you got
your wings. The "completed the hops" was the difficult part. Now, if your
reaction time wasn't sufficient for something -- landing where you were
supposed to land, aerobatics, formation flying, etc. -- then you might wash
out.

They gave us, during ground school, what I now recognize as a psychological
evaluation. And I remember only one question. "If you had to chose between
purposely slamming your thumb in a car door or throwing up in a crowded
elevator, which would you do?" ... Never quite grasped what that had to do
with becoming a Naval Aviator, but I am sure some Ph.D. convinced someone
that such information was important. I am pretty sure what the Marines in my
class answered: BOTH, PLEASE, SIR.

Navy might have changed a whole lot in the last almost 30 years, though.

--
When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers. -- Oscar Wilde