A few weeks back my auntie calls me about 3PM one afternoon and tells me I need to get to KY pronto, my dad is in bad shape and might die from an infection. Dentist had told him he needed a tooth out, he didn't deal with it, got infected (which he believed to be an ear infection), and sorta went along for a coupla weeks then just exploded. By the time they got him to the hospital it had swollen to the size of a baseball. Doc decided he needed to get in there immediately, so they prepped for surgery that evening. While that was being done, it actually blew out his skin on his neck and was oozing stuff out (I know, TMI, but it just goes to show). I got there late that night/morning, he was doing fairly well by then with all the stuff cleaned out. Doc said another couple hours and he probably would not have made it. He is still taking antibiotics for another couple weeks.

Lesson: deal with stuff like that quickly, esp what seem to be minor infections or such

--R

On 4/28/2010 1:22 PM, John Reames wrote:
MRSA infections can start off seeming like a pimple that grows into a hard knot....

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net
Home: +14106646986
Mobile: +14437915905

On Apr 28, 2010, at 12:53, Rick Knoble <rickkno...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:41:35 -0400
From: astrasfo...@gmail.com

So what causes cellulitis? Is it preventable?

Cellulitis is caused by staph or strep bacteria. Staph infections are very bad (MRSA) and can be life threatening if they become blood infections (as we now know).

Good hygiene helps (antibacterial soap), but as far as I can tell, it is not totally preventable.

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulitis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscess

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mrsa

Rick