Looks as though you're right, Max.

I secured a copy of the EPC page from the local franchise. It shows the female end down.

What the hell does this strut do anyway? It sure doesn't return the throttle to idle, which was the problem I've been trying to fix.

Cheers, and thanks for your replies over time. Great to know you and the other guys are out there.

Euan

EPC shows the orientation that you describe.  I recall having the same
question on my 123.190 with five speed.  Replaced it as old was worn
out.  Old was 'upside down' compared to marking and pictures, I wondered
at the time if that was why it died.

-Max