Pull the wire off the sensor and ground it to the engine (usually on the
thermostat housing on a 617).  Fan must run.  If not, check:

Replace fan fuse (25A) and verify current at the fuse.  These often corrode,
assume it's bad.

Check connections at the low speed resistor.  Repair if corroded.

Pull sensor wire at thermostat housing and ground with ignition on, fan must
run.

If not, verify relay operation, replace if defective.  You can jump the
connection at the relay socket to test fan.  If you get current flow (spark,
hot wire) but no fan, it's bad.  Check the connection at the fan as well, they
sometimes get dirty or corroded as well.  You can apply voltage from a spare
battery directly to the fan wires at this connection to test it as well.

Peter