Regarding "needs front spring" It probably means needs ball joints, needs shocks and maybe even needs lower control arm.... ... or it could mean the inspection place was attempting a ripoff. I strongly doubt it needs a spring.

In any case, it probably needs ball joints, idler arm bushings, tie rod ends and new bilsteins all around. Almost every MB I ever bought needed those. That turns a POS 123 into an MB

Curt.
St Jude.
Looks like an interesting challenge. As in "May you live in interesting times". Needs front spring. Is this rotten spring mount, or is it not applicable to 123's? There was an 87 124TD in Cow Hampshire for $1250 that I lusted after, had to settle for the 190DT for $350, plus going to fetch it.
That's another story.
Hope springs eternal.
Fred Moir
Lynn MA