All 3 of mine have required upper ball joints (Hammie got them twice) which are
pretty easy on a 240D, probably a bit more complicated on a 300D turbo...

I emailed to see if I can go see it, the rust is of course the question...

-Curt

Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 16:08:03 -0500
From: Dieselhead <126die...@gmail.com>
To:
 Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 Re: [MBZ] Springs, Patron saint of lost causes?

Regarding "needs
 front spring"  It probably means needs ball joints,
needs shocks
and maybe even needs lower control arm....      ... or
it could mean
 the inspection place was attempting a ripoff.   I
strongly doubt it
 needs a spring.

In any case, it probably needs ball joints,
idler arm bushings, tie
rod ends and new bilsteins all around.
Almost every MB I ever bought
needed those.  That turns a POS 123
into an MB

>Curt.
>St Jude.
>Looks like an
interesting challenge. As in "May you live in
>interesting
times".
>Needs front spring. Is this rotten spring mount, or is it
 not
>applicable to 123's?
>There was an 87 124TD in Cow
Hampshire for $1250 that I lusted