On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:05 AM, Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> wrote:

> Alex Chamberlain wrote:
>
>  Reminds me of the time I was taking a look at the Ford Fusion/Mercury
>> Milan
>> twins for a lark, and salesmen persisted in pronouncing the name of the
>> latter to rhyme with "tie ran," emphasis on the first syllable.
>>

> Less than 50 miles from Ford's Dearborn headquarters lies Milan, Michigan.
> I had a college roommate who grew up in Milan. He pronounced it like a
> network admin would say "My LAN".

I did not know that.  But I can't believe that's what Ford's marketeers were
thinking of when they came up with the name, considering that the Mercury's
brand identity (if it even has one) is to be more upscale and aspirational
than Ford, like a middle rung between Ford and Lincoln---the same way that
Buick, as one of the surviving three GM passenger car brands, is being
positioned midway between Chevy and Cadillac.

Alex