Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 18:17:11 -0500
From: Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Check Engine Light

?ctually, the "normal" reason you get a check engine light is that
the computer cannot control the mixture. Time to check for vacuum
leaks, manifold cracks (if you have a plastic manifold), and leaks
between the air flow sensor and the throttle body.

My brother in law replaced all four O2 sensors on his used BMW and it
drove terribly, died all the time when you let the clutch out,
bucked, you name it. Finally found an experienced mechanic who
determined that the crack in the air duct between the air flow sensor
and the throttle body was causing erratic mixture control, lighting
up the CEL and setting O2 failure codes. New duct for $80 or so
fixed it permanently.

Peter