> Curt Raymond wrote:

> The quality of the average VHS is about half that of the
> average DVD.

That depends on the definition of "quality". If yours is "color
resolution" - absolutely! If the definition is "luminance
resolution during high motion", VHS can win easily.

Compression artifacts vs color under heterodyne junk.  I don't
like either one!!

Long live one-inch type C!!

> Worse still many (most?) VHS movies are
> fullscreen so you lose about 1/3 of the image...

I presume you are trying to say "VHS movies aspect ratio is
converted to 4:3 by cutting off the edges".  I have - or did
have - quite a number that were letterboxed - so the image was
not cut off. Instead the vertical resolution goes way down
because 1/3 of the screen is black (wasted space) to make it fit
a 4:3 window.

--    Philip,  thinking like a luddite.