It clicks like slipping rears or something.

Exactly.  There are little cables that pull out of their
sockets, disconnecting the gear.

and (on the drivers seat), I seriously doubt if I took it apart, I would ever get a new cover over the old foam ...if the old foam did not denigrate

Foam?  Every MB seat I've dealt with has been springs, a bit of
horsehair (?) pad for shape, and the cover.

Now it the power unit is savable, new padding and foam would be rather difficult , right??

Not that bad.  Did my SL on one weekend.

What is interchangeable with these seats (from the 126 cars)?

Mechanically I think that anything 126 will fit.  (Not coupe.)
It's the electrical seat connections that varied a bit over
the years.

can a passenger seat be use as a drivers? or are they different?

Side-swapping is very common.

Can the arm rest be moved?

Generally, yes.

Is the rear cushion guts(pading) ( from a different year 126 passenger seat) usable in my drivers seat, ?

Should be.

-- Jim