When I did generator work we used to see battery explosions with some
regularity.  Here's why:

When the electrolyte gets low in the battery (from being constantly charged, as
stationary duty batteries are) the tops of the plates get exposed.  When a
large load is applied to the battery, as in when the engine cranks, there can
be a spark or arc across the exposed plates.

Since there is most likely some hydrogen present in the cells, this ignites,
causing a pretty spectacular explosion that usually rips the top of the battery
off.

A good reason to be checking the electrolyte levels on a regular basis.

I haven't found this to be as much of an issue in automotive applications,
probably because the batteries in such an application aren't on a charger 100%
of the time like a stationary engine battery is.

Dan