OK lets say the DOUBLE ROW timing CHAIN broke and sent the valves (there are 4 per cylinder) into the pistons, at the very least you are going to have at least 4 valves bent, depending on the engine speed at the time of the breakage. Worst case scenario is that the camshafts are damaged, which means the best option is a reconditioned head, plus there may be damage from the chain. If it was me, I would ask the seller if I could remove the rocker cover, you may find that the chain did not break but the tensioner or guide rail broke, allowing the chain to skip, which is a better scenario. Another problem is that you do not know the condition of the gearbox, A/C and other bits and pieces, the condition which of, you can only tell by having a car that can be driven. Remember if the seller was happy to drive around with a cracked wind screen and turn signal, they may well have no car pride. Is there any service history? Have a look at Rustys site for some idea on the cost of parts, it does not show a C220 for 98 but the C230 is pretty much the same.
http://www.buymbparts.biz/
According to http://www.germanstar.net/Mercedes_Model_Info.html the C220 was dropped in 96, so be sure you figure out what you intent to buy, a grey market import is not going to be worth as much as a US delivered one. It is always a good idea, when looking at a Benz and thinking about buying it, to get the VIN. Far as making money out of it, if you can do the work yourself and get a good price on parts, then you may make a profit but if you have to get someone to fix the engine, then you may well end up losing money. I would guess that getting that engine repaired would cost between 1K to 2K depending on the damage. Have a look at what comparable cars are going for on ebay and in the classifieds, remembering that the asking price may not be the final selling price. The price of the W202 is dropping and over here (where Mercs are more expensive all round) we are starting to see the base models (C180's) heading close to 5K in reasonable condition. However we where not as hard hit with that financial thingy, so prices of cars have not dropped that much.

Hendrik

Kathmandu wrote:
There was an add in the local trading post for a 1998 C220 for $500. The lady who posted the add first thought it was a BMW then said it was a 320E so you can get some idea of whom I am dealing with. She said the C220 had a broken timing belt and didn't run. She said and I quote, "it bent the points and spark plugs and doesn't run" I looked at the car and the body is straight and the interior is not ripped up or anything but it does have a cracked windshield and a broken turn signal lens. Question is, if it did break the timing belt, what sort of damage would likely have occurred and second would this car be worth anything if it were running? I am totally uninterested in this dinky Mercedes myself but I am interested if I could make a few bucks fixing and selling it or even parting it out.