On Jul 19, 2010, at 2:06 PM, mercedes-requ...@okiebenz.com wrote:

http://lansing.craigslist.org/cto/1849867145.html

If I were going to buy a diesel VW truck, I'd rather have one of these:

*http://tinyurl.com/2g7etge
*

I've had both. The rabbit diesel truck was one of the worst vehicles ever--HORRIBLY noisy, and too small in cab or bed to be useful. Cab was tiny. Had a diesel Jetta that was much better--a nice little car.

Had a turbodiesel vanagon westy that I loved. 27 mpg at 65, and adequate power, surprisingly enough, mostly due to the flat turbo torque curve and a well-matched wide ratio 4-speed. You're right about payload--they were rated for a ton but would carry considerably more with grace. I once drove 800 miles with probably 3,000 lbs in mine, and it rode, handled, and drove just fine, albeit several inches lower. LOADS of suspension travel, very good off road. Because of the chassis configuration, it was easy to load them level, and maintain a 50/50 weight distribution.

I now have a toyota previa. MUCH more reliable, twice as powerful, and a very decent vehicle in its own right, but much smaller and won't handle anywhere near the weight or bulk that the vanagon would, and rides worse, empty or full. The vanagon "doka" (for DOuble KAb) truck is much sought after, but I never wanted one, because the bed is so small and high. Half the advantage of the vanagon van was the low entry hight of the side door and the very high roof. Tremendous capacity.

Dan