You are just guessing..........I know several people that work in a local retread shop and was a truck driver for a few years. The pieces on the road ARE usually caps. Some(actually most) do have cords in them. Along with underinflation, overloading is a big issue with comercial recaps. Passenger car and light truck recaps are much better today than they were in the 80's when they got the worst of thier reputation for coming apart but do come apart if abused. As far as the casing proving itself that's kida irrelevant.......How many properly inflated tires have you ever actually seen come apart? I have owned thousands of tires, several with broken belts/cords and have had maybe 1/2 a dozen actually come apart. Retreads included. From watching the process of recapping heavy truck tires there are several steps in the process and alot of tires that come in do not pass each step of the process due to defects(holes, broken cords, etc.) but some bad ones do get by as USUALLY the inspection of the casing is only visual and as long as the tire looks good when it comes out the next test is the road. So basically if it has large ragged edges then it is likely a piece of a new tire.....If it is a piece of tread that looks like it may have had glue on the inside it's a bad cap. Just ask a truck driver the next time you come near a truck stop about cap separation and the fines the DOT imposes if you are caught driving with a bad cap these days.

Sorry for the long post, Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Hargrave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:19 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Retread - was: Pulling to one side

I'd agree with Fmiser.

I spend over 50,000 miles a year on the road and I've seen more than a few
tire separations "in action". Every one I saw was a blowout, where there was a big 'bang' and lots of stuff in the air, including the tread. I've seen a
truck tire tread fly up and clear three cars. Those tires that I could see
were a mangled mess. If they were just tread separation then the tire
carcass would still be inflated.

Thanks,
Tom Hargrave
256-656-1924