Kevin J. Slater wrote:
I thought the rule of thumb was, if it's lower than the hood, run it over
and if it's over the hood try to avoid it.

That sounds like a good one. :)

And no, I don't subscribe to the theory that people are too stupid to
learn proper driving techniques (like our 3rd political party, the
bureaucrats do). It's a matter of training and thinking when you find
yourself in a bad situation.

I agree. Unfortunately, the system that's in place doesn't make people learn, and very few people have the initiative to learn on their own. Most people will have never experienced the outer edges of their cars' performance envelope until they're forced to in an emergency.