The W108 system was a ThermoKing that used an R type compressor from GM, blower was in the passenger side kick panel. Universally referrred to as "inadequate", mainly because it has very poor air circulation. The evaporator is fine, and should freeze you out, but the air flow is best described as anemic.

The W115/114 system uses a York compressor and a dual squirrel cage fan behind the evaporator. When properly charged, they will freeze you, even at idle. Almost stalls a 220D though. I converted mine and it worked pretty well for the few months the car ran after I charged it.

Peter