Alex Chamberlain wrote:
So what does it mean when you push the button and pull and pull and
pull the headrests but nothing happens?  Is there a common failure
mode in the release mechanism?  This is on my 124 but I imagine (for
no good reason) that it's similar to the 123.  I hate to pull off the
seatback unless I know what I'm doing in there---have done it once
before and didn't enjoy it at all.

To my knowledge the only common failure mode for a 123 is that either you're not pushing hard enough or not pulling up on the headrest hard enough. Move the rest off the stop slightly BEFORE you push in and hold the button and then pull up on the headrest aggressively. A 124 is different.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi