Hi Mitch,

Connecticut issues "Early American" plates for cars over 20 years old.  For a
new registration, they cost 2 dollars more than regular plates.  As far as I
know, Connecticut places no restrictions or limitations on the car's use.  That
may come from your insurance company, however, if you were to obtain a
Collector Car rate.  They place annual mileage limits, and may also require
that the car be garage-kept, etc.

I currently have two cars registered with "Early American" plates:  the 1975
300D since 2000, and now a 1982 BMW 323i Baur (my current daily driver) since
May 2010.  I have also used the Mercedes as a daily driver off and on over the
last 10 years.

And, yes.... I DO wish someone would give us a 18' hauler!   That turbo diesel
could handle it, for sure.  :)

However, I have looked into buying one for the agency several times, but...
that gets into a whole new level of complication and responsibility that I am
not convinced that I can justify ---- given the potential liability, headaches,
etc.  I have enough to worry about already.  :)  Sometimes it is simpler to
just pay a hauler to have a donated car delivered to us.  I have several
haulers who are sympathetic to the cause, and give us a favorable rate.

Tom Schuch
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D
and all those BMWs