I missed the beginning of this. The head number is easy enough its the 3rd grouping of numbers on the side. #14 is bad, #22 is good. I love the 603, so much more power than my 602. Mine needs new seats as well, I hear its pretty easy to pull the covers off and swap them. I would really like the 4 piece ones that were used in the 500E.

-Rolf

On 08/23/2010 07:33 AM, Dillon, Meade M CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-ATLANTIC, 53310 wrote:
Lifter tick may be what you have, and the late Dr. M.B. often wrote that
M1 oil would usually quiet that down; that has been my experience.

-Max

-----Original Message-----
From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Tim C
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2010 8:49 PM
To: Mercedes List
Subject: [MBZ] New addition to the driveway

The 240D hasn't left, but it's been replaced by an 87 300SDL.  310k,
maintenance records up to 290k (10 years ago).  Starts like a champ in
the nice warm weather, and more power than a 77 NA 300D - guess that
cylinder+turbo combo is good for something. :) Has a two-year-old head,
cylinder+but
I forgot how to tell if it was a good one; kind of doubt they'd have put
a new bad one back on, though of course I'll check it out in the
morning.

Needs a new headlight, which I have, and some algae killer, which I also
have; a windshield and front seats, which I may wait to get from the
junkyard; and a bunch of maintenance items from Rusty, of course, for
which it shall wait.  I only have three days to get it past safety
inspection so that's my first goal. :)

Only odd things for which I presently seek counsel: 1) it ticks much
worse than my 300D (and the PO put silicon tape around one of the fuel
lines, guessing that's related), and 2) it idles at 2.5-ish bar when
slightly warm
- haven't gone hot yet.  The manual says it can drop to 0.3bar - is that
really true?

Anyway, I'm excited, it seems like a good car for the money, and exactly
what I wanted for size, comfort, and propulsion... as long as I can keep
it reliable for a while we're set! :) As always thanks for any advice.

Thanks,
-Tim