Dave M. wrote:
And I prefer removing the silly thing entirely. The valve itself can
leak, even if all vacuum connections are removed - see photos here:

No question - if the EGR does NOT close completely the engine will run improperly and so the valve should then be removed and the hole plugged. Mine is closed and since I never intend to allow it to open again, I rather expect it to remain closed. If it opens - I'll certainly remove it.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi