From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of John Reames
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2010 9:27 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 91 350SDL trirsty

I had a bad head gasket on an 84 SD which only leaked out of the side of
the engine; the only traces were a couple of faint vertical whitish
yellow "stripes" on the block just above the oil pan (not the sump pan).
I think the stripes were deposits left behind when all the water
evaporated from the coolant.

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net

On Sep 5, 2010, at 16:21, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My '81 300TD with a bad headgasket didn't make any white smoke at
startup. If you sat with it idling in the cold you'd lose yourself in
the white smokescreen though... That car would even hydro-lock if you
left the radiator cap on when you parked it...