On my first MB, the 190Dc, soon after I bought it, I pushed in the clutch at a RR crossing, and it didn't go out of gear. Turned out the throwout had seized sometime before. Each time you pushed the clutch, the throwout wore on the pressure plate arms. That day the arms wore through, so the throwout bearing went past the arms. No clutch. Being a torquey Diesel, after I had shut it down to stop, I put the car in first and cranked the starter. We took off in first, then I was able to speed match and gear jam to get into second and then third. I got it home.

I don't suspect the tractor has this problem, but it is something to be aware of, depending on the spring design

I think Mitch's suggestion of rust bonding may be the winning suggestion. On the dogde caravans, the rear wheel drum brake shoed are metallic. When it is rainy and humid, the shoes rust weld to the drums amazingly hard. This spring after the snow all melted, After rocking and dragging back and forth didn't break loose the rust welds, I finally decided to "go fo' broke" (a phrase from the Hawaiians in WWII Italian combat theater) and drag the wheels out the driveway and hope hitting the bump across the gutter fast would break them loose. I drug the tires squealing out the drive, across the gutter and across the street, 75 ft or more, and only got one wheel loose. I was really stumped, but I had to get the van out of the street. So I put it in D (for Drag) and gunned it to drag it back into the garage. When it bounced the gutter the second time, the other one finally broke loose. The first time I encountered this with the fist caravan, I took off the tire and beat on the drum with the 10 pounder BFH until I was sure I was going to break the drum off then take off the shoes and trash the whole thing. It finally broke loose after a LOT of beating. Point being, that rust bonding can be very strong.

I generally keep not so good tires on the rear so I don't ruin good tires when this happens, and for safety, the best tires should always be on the front axle.

Curt Raymond wrote:
The nice thing about a tractor is you don't so much drop the trans as roll it backwards...

I may actually be doing this relatively soon. I think I've stumbled on to what may be an excellent deal on a small diesel tractor with a loader and a bad clutch. Whats actually bad about it is that it never disengages...

Bad linkage or hydraulics, or the disk is rust bonded to the pressure plate and/or flywheel. Get it rolling and jam the loader in the ground with the clutch pedal held down, see if the clutch breaks loose before the tires spin.

Mitch.