Christopher McCann wrote:
mine was overfilled by one quart (85 300SD) and I
noticed no difference except an ATF seep...dripping
from seals onto floor. A little more overfilled and
the idiot would have blown my gaskets. Recall a list
member a while back who was overfilled 2 quarts and
got a few miles b4 tranny blew the gaskets.

The manual explains how to check the tranny level -
has to be hot if I recall...like drive 25 miles hot,
then with engine running, after 1-2 minutes of idle,
you check it. I could be remembering this all wrong,
so check the manual or someone who knows better than I
will pipe up. It's still, IMO, very inaccurate,
inconsistent and VERY annoying.

If the vent on top of the transmission is open (it need to be checked and cleaned from time to time to be sure it is open), NOTHING will blow out. It MAY leak out and make a mess though! The big problem with overfilling is foaming and what that does when the transmission shifts - especially under full load!

I heard the story about the transmission blowing out - that's HOGWASH! The transmission MAY have failed, but it didn't blow out!

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi