Possible, that's why I need to explore.
Had something similar in my Mums 190E, the brake sensor had partially come out of it's hole and there was still a good 1/3 of the pad left when the light came on.

Hendrik

OK Don wrote:
Another possibility is that the wire to the caliper/pad is rubbing somewhere
else and shorting - causing the light to flicker while the pad is still
good.