In a message dated 11/9/2005 6:15:19 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Contemplaing doing timing chain overdue at 270K miles.  I have  been doing
some research.  It appears a chain buddy;, ie standby  helper is required.
Can this job be done totally solo?  I have not  met any of my neighbors or
friends/wifes/kids or enemies who gives a rats  a-- for my 77 300D or would
be worthy or interested in  helping.

Tom,

I have done 3 chains solo, and never dropped a link.  The most recent  was
the easiest, due to a tip from one of the listers.  I  tied  the end of a long
bungee cord overhead and used that to take up the old  chain.   You tie it
offset from center of the car, and not too  high, so that the new chain always
is
pulled over the cam gear.  My  basket ball pole was handy and I used that.
This frees up you to  turn the crank and watch the new chain feed in.  Figure
on
moving the  bungee hook in the chain about 4 times so you don't have to
stretch it too  tight.

Two caveats.

You MUST relieve cranking pressure by pulling the glow plugs (my choice) or
the injectors.  The new chain goes in so much easier, and there is no  chance
of an accidental power stroke.

Before you break the chain, you should always tie the chain ends to  the cam
gear so that if anything goes wrong you still have your timing.   Also make
sure that the service link picks up all the link plates on both chains  or one
will fold back and the result will block the chain from clearing the  crank
gear as clearance is very tight there.  Once you have the new chain  attached
the old chain, and tension on the old chain with the bungee,  you can cut the
ties.  Same deal when you are done and ready to splice the  chain--tie those
ends down!  Do not trust your grip in this oily  environment!

On many models you must remove the chain tensioner, because they have a
stepping mechanism in them that takes up the slack as the chain wears.  You
cannot push this kind back. I like this kind the best because they do not
rattle
when the engine is first started.  Many install a new tensioner with any  new
chain job.  It is certain that you will see heavy spring wear on your  old one,
should you take the piston out to reload it

Good luck, you can do this!

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ
79 300SD, 261 K miles