Not necessarily! In 1982, the test drive for the first Mercedes we ever
purchased (a 1973 model 280) was done at night and consisted of driving one
block, hanging a u-turn and returning to the guy's home. We did examine the
car under a streetlight, however. Although the seller was a shady Iranian
who demanded cash, and the car had NO paperwork, it seemed to run fine so we
purchased it (financed by the bank) for $4900 (he was asking $5500). It had
some issues with the transmission, carburetor spring,and vacuum locks, but
was overall a great driving car. After a year we sold it to a dip(lomat) for
$4850!