On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Rolf <r...@winmutt.com> wrote:
>  the shifter REALLY takes some getting used to. Because the
> sweet spot was so high I was paying more attention to clutch slippage than
> anything else...

The car magazines of the time weren't happy with the ergonomics of the
stick-shift 300E either.  IIRC the shifter was described as "numb" and
"rubbery" and they also mentioned abrupt clutch take-up like you're
describing.  Anyone know if M-B built the transmission themselves or
farmed it out?  If the former, why didn't they just use a Getrag box
as in the 190E 2.3-16?

Alex