Fact check please....

1.   "though we've been hearing that advanced ethanol is just a
year or two away from viability for two decades."

WRONG. Cellulosic ethanol is here now. The first plants are in design and construction phase. The technology has been licensed by brazil, and is being licensed to chinee-land and scandanavia. I have seen it work. It produces over 100 gal per ton from corn stover, oak chips and can dramaticly increase the yield from corn. Just because it has been kept out of the media does not mean the technology is not present. WSJ is NOT the font of all knowledge.

Current plants can use the new technology without modification of equipment. Third gen ethanol production is available.

2. from Grassley: "R they ready sunset tax subsidies oil AND gas enjoys?" Is right on. Woger, have you ever totalled the subsidies for the oil and gas industry???????? CHECK the FACTS! Why should ethanol have to make it on its own while gas and oil have hundreds of obvious and hidden tax benefits and gummit benefits worth billions? BTW, Grassley knows more about ethanol than any WSJ writer.

3. MTBE MTBE is a known carcinogen and you don't need to ingest it to suffer the consequences. Nothing I am aware of that has ever been foisted on the general public is as highly carcinogenic as MTBE. As for me, I an very happy that MTBE was finally banned. If not for the massive lobbying of the oil gas and chemical industries, it would never have been approved for use. MTBE is nasty stuff.

4. The "ethanol consumes more energy..." myth. The last time Woger brought up his anti-ethanol rant, he was soundly thumped over his insistence that ethanol production consumes more energy than it produces. That is not so and is decades out of date.

5. Currently the gimmit is paying out way less for farm subsidies than when its market meddling kept prices below production costs for the benefit of a few powerful interests (ADM, Conagra, Cargill). Is helping to level the field a bit for ethanol worse than subsidizing farms to keep the families barely alive so the big 3, (ADM, Cargill, Conagra) make billions?

I agree, gummit meddling messes up the markets, but if you want to stop the meddling, lets get the gummit out of ALL the markets, including gas and oil, food, and more.

BTW, wall street meddling distorts markets too.